- About Us
- SBAC Events
- Member Benefits
- SBAC BLOG
A non-partisan, member driven organization that promotes the success of small business through political advocacy, networking, support services and educational programs.
Brian T. Raterman - Attorney
BRIAN T. RATERMAN
2615 Lake Avenue, Wilmette, IL 60091
(937) 726-7457 • firstname.lastname@example.org
* Illinois Bar, November 2009
Valparaiso University School of Law, Valparaiso, Indiana
Juris Doctor, May 2009
• Class Rank: 43/138 GPA: 3.248/4.0
• Semester Honors: Spring 2007; Fall 2008
• Honors A : Land Use, Trademark and Unfair Competition
University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio
Bachelor of Arts and Science, English, cum laude, May 2006
Benos Sukhatme & Associates, Rolling Meadows, Illinois
Staff Attorney, October 2010-Present
Represent claimants in administrative law hearings before the Illinois Department of Employment Security in appeals concerning the receipt or denial of unemployment benefits. Strengthening litigation skills through direct and cross examination of witnesses, maintaining evidentiary objections, and making closing statements. Interview claimants and develop legal arguments in preparation for hearings.
• Succeeded in having local office determination decisions Set Aside, thus claimants were awarded unemployment benefits.
• Vigorously defended claimants in employer appeals, preserving claimants’ receipt of benefits.
Center for Disability & Elder Law, Chicago, Illinois
Attorney, August 2009-September 2010
Represent clients in diverse litigation practice, including drafting complaints, answering pleadings, and arguing motions. Have developed strong case management and litigation skills through evaluating cases, designing litigation strategies, preparing discovery and exhibits, and resolving cases. Possess substantive motion practice and extensive experience attending status hearings and default calls.
• Negotiated settlement at trial thereby preventing client’s eviction from Section 8 housing.
• Litigated and won small claims action, securing return of client’s residential security deposit.
• Secured voluntary dismissal(s) of four (4) debt collection complaint(s) at bench trial.
• Prepared, filed, and attended hearings for winning Motions to Vacate Default Judgment.
• Authored verified civil complaint and prepared Exhibits for a small claims action.
• Collaborated with co-counsel to produce Answer with affirmative defenses in Section 8 eviction.
• Prepared multiple Motion(s) to Compel Production of Documents in civil proceedings.
Submitted by SBAC on Fri, 11/19/2010 - 5:29pm