Small Business still not a Priority for our State Legislative Leaders
- The General Assembly adjourned on May 30th, and it is clear that the small business community is still not a priority for our state legislators. Hereâ€™s a brief update:
1. Once it was understood the state income tax rate wouldnâ€™t be extended, very little meaningful legislation was passed to address Illinois’ fiscal troubles or incoherent tax structure
2. Despite strong support from the SBAC, our coalition members and even the Governor and Illinois Senate, legislation to lower Illinois’ ridiculously high LLC filing fees from $500 to $39 was never called for a vote in the House Revenue Committee. Though lowering LLC filing fees was highlighted in a comprehensive report issued by the House Revenue Committee as essential to improving the business climate in Illinois, we are looking for real action.
3. After the SBAC pushed for EDGE tax credit reform for the past two years, Speaker Madigan filed a bill passed by the Illinois House with bi-partisan support. The bill incorporated several SBAC initiatives including removing the $1M infrastructure investment requirement providing small business with greater access and also incorporating increased accountability and transparency, but was never called for a vote on the Senate floor
- To have a strong enough voice to move our Springfield leaders, small businesses and local communities must campaignfor their issues â€“ and over the next month, we will formulate a comprehensive campaign to up our game and move our advocacy efforts to the next level, while we continue to grow our members and coalition and work harder, grow stronger and hold our legislators accountable for their actions.
- Read more in this weekâ€™s Advocacy e-Newsletter or click here to access online.
With MB Financial Bankâ€™s My Bankâ€¦ My Rewards program, this summerâ€™s business trip is covered
- SBAC and MB Financial Bank have partnered to bring SBAC members an MB Platinum MasterCard Business Card for small businesses that offers several of the consumer protections available on personal cards with the more robust online account management business people need
- Reduce the cost of business travel by using your rewards points. You receive one My Bankâ€¦My Rewards program point for every dollar spent on purchases, and youâ€™ll get 5,000 bonus rewards points for making the first purchase with the card within 60 days of opening the account
- Airline travelers can take advantage of no blackout dates, advance notice requirements or round trip requirements
- Redeem your rewards points for merchandise, gift cards or cash â€“ pick what works best for your business!
- Apply today at www. sbacil.org and click on the banner ad for the MB Business card.
Reserve your tickets to the rooftop summer soiree before they sell out!
- Mix and mingle at our Third Annual Summer Soiree where you can enjoy exquisite sparkling Rose wines produced in the French Riviera, unique spirits, delicious food and fabulous prizes including a bottle of the world’s most unique and rare champagne, Armand de Brignac
- Enjoy gorgeous city views and Navy Pier fireworks
- Special thanks to our host Blake Berish with Mid-America Building Maintenance, Platinum Sponsor Movere (Maurice Vincent) and Gold Sponsors, James Elvord with RBC Wealth Management and John Gotschall with Coaching Financial Concepts.
- Click here for more
details including sponsorship opportunities and ticket reservations – note space is limited to 100!
- Also save the date for our 5th Annual Golf Outing at Ravinia Green on August 4! Click here for more details, registration and sponsorship opportunities.