This page is dedicated to providing resources and educational information regarding the vacancy crisis in Chicago and Cook County. We would also like to provide resources to business owners who would like to start a business to aid in their purchase of vacant spaces.
Below is also our NRC Blog, where we provide updates on our advocacy efforts and new developments.
- SBAC Empower is a 501(c)(3) established as a community-oriented nonprofit organization with a focus on small businesses in under-funded neighborhoods throughout the Chicagoland area.
- Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity has an aggregate of resources to help entrepreneurs set up their business in the State of Illinois.
- The Small Business Center (SBC) is the business licensing division of the City of Chicago’s Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection (BACP) and the City’s “one-stop-shop” for business licensing, public way use permitting, and connecting entrepreneurs to business resources.
- Crain's Chicago Business has created an aggregate of information for small business owners, providing a list of organizations and chambers that aid small business owners (Including the SBAC!).
- The Cook County Land Bank Authority (CCLBA) works to reduce and return vacant land and abandoned buildings back into reliable and sustainable community assets.
- The Department of Planning and Development (DPD) makes City-owned real estate available for purchase and redevelopment through various programs.
- Open data portal for Cook County, Illinois.
- Data portal for Chicago, Illinois. Includes various services that break down data to better understand the health and well-being of your local community.
- The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning has an extensive amount of data projects available to view. This includes land use data and community snapshots.
- Data gathered from the Midwest Information Office of the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- From business seminars hosted by the Department of Business Affairs & Consumer Protection to special tools for Educators, we hope you will find this information interesting and useful!